Sunday, March 10, 2013

Ernest Hemingway, A Clean, Well- Lighted Place (Reading Reaction)


          The first time I read something by Hemingway, I found it difficult because of his writing style. Now that I am older and have more experience with reading and writing, I have come to appreciate his incredible writing style. This appreciation came shortly after when my creative writing class attempted to mimic his writing style and not use adjectives in describing things. I was only able to write one sentence in the five minutes I was given to do the exercise.

          I enjoyed Hemingway’s subtle culture infusions in his writing. He does not state that the story takes place in a Spanish speaking country, but rather reveals it towards the end when the waiters speak party in Spanish, and call each other hombre. I could use these subtle clues in my writing when creating a setting. Instead of stating where the characters are, I could develop clues about where they are, known as showing the readers instead of telling them.

          I enjoyed this reading because I was able to follow the story quite easily but it was still interesting to read. The characters were mysterious and well developed in the short span of the story. However, I was left questioning who the characters were out of context of the café, but maybe Hemingway wanted readers to determine that for themselves.

This story convinced me to start trying to read more of Hemingway’s works, because I have a lot to learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment